by Herbert Jackson-Stops who
was born in 1884 near Towcester
Herbert received a good local education and went on to become articled to Messrs Woods and Company, a firm of auctioneers and valuers in Northampton and Towcester. By the age of 23 he had qualified as an Associate of the Surveyors Institute and the Auctioneers Institute.
In 1908, at the age of 24, he opened an office practicing as an Estate Agent from the Town Hall in Towcester. He took a Lease of Towcester Town Square and held weekly livestock auctions. At the same time he demonstrated his understanding of civil engineering, becoming closely concerned with the installation of the main sewer in the town.
In 1918 he moved the business from Towcester to Northampton and became friendly with the Master of Kinloss who occupied Stowe House, just at the point the Trustees of the Duke of Buckingham and Chandos decided to sell the property. Aged 37 and with a relatively small staff, Herbert Jackson-Stops was entrusted with the 18 day sale of the house and contents. This had subsequently been regarded by Country Life as one of the two great sales of the 20th century, the other being the sale of Mentmore, which took place some 60 years Later. The quality and detail of the Stowe catalogue goes some way to explain the ability of Herbert Jackson-Stops and his staff.
The sale of Stowe, later to become Stowe School was to be the forerunner of the disposal of many historic houses, which has continued to the present day. Whilst the sale clearly established the business, it is worth noting Jackson-Stop's opening lines of the Stowe sale catalogue.
"It is with a feeling of profound regret that the Auctioneer pens the opening lines of a sale catalogue which may destroy forever the glories of historic Stowe, and disperse to the winds of Heaven its wonderful collection, leaving memories of the spacious past."
There can be no doubt that Herbert Jackson-Stops was ambitious. In 1924 he opened an office in London's Mayfair. He wanted to be more than a successful local auctioneer and to achieve this he needed a London Headquarters.
Not satisfied by expanding his influence in England, Jackson-Stops had a serious desire to develop an international business. Two of his London team, Mr. McCabe and Owen Sebag Montefiore established an associate firm in Dublin to be called Jackson-Stops & McCabe.
Such was the spirit of an understanding that the two businesses never had a written agreement but have nonetheless continued to have a close co-operation to the present day.
The business continued to develop through the 1930's and 14 Curzon Street, Mayfair became the London headquarters for most of the following years of the 20th Century although it was bombed twice in the blitz and the business relocated to Hanover Square. The fragmented files and records were carefully collected up and placed in boxes indignantly labeled "destroyed by enemy action".
Jackson-Stops and Staff expanded through the opening of a network of branch offices, changing to a democratic consortium in November 1992. In the sixteen years since the Consortium was formed, the original 12 offices have grown to 44 with new offices being opened over the period.
- Founder Herbert Jackson-Stops.
- Established 1910 in Towcester.
- "Staff" added to name to engender true family spirit.
- Office moved to Northampton in 1919.
- Sale of Stowe House in 1921 A 19 day event sale and auction under Duke of Buckinghams instructions.
- London office opened in 1924 in SW1. Shortly followed by an office in Mayfair.
- The 1930's sees offices opened in Leeds, Dublin and Cirencester, the first office of what became a Jackson-Stops stronghold in the Cotswolds. Yeovil also opened in the 1930's, being the first of many offices in the South-West.
- After the war the firm expands its influence with new offices in Chichester, Chester and Newmarket. The Leeds office is relocated to York.
- Death of Herbert Jackson Stops 1949.
- 50th ANNIVERSARY: Offices established in Chipping Campden and Midhurst.
- 1970's and 1980's sees the development of London residential property specialist offices.
- 75th ANNIVERSARY: 1985.
- The regional presence is strengthened with Exeter and Burford offices opening.
- M.B.O by incumbent Management took place in 1992 to form the Jackson-Stops Consortium.
- 1994 and the expansion of the West Country sphere of influence with Dorchester office opening.
- 1997 wider coverage in central London with offices in Chelsea, Holland Park and Pimlico.
- Taunton office is established April 1997.
- Wilmslow office opened in May 1999 emphasising the firms ongoing commitment to provide even better regional coverage.
- Truro office opened in March 2000 covering Cornwall and the surrounding areas. Ipswich and Norwich offices opened in November 2000.
- Woburn office opened in May 2001.
- Cranbrook office opened in September 2001.
- Sevenoaks office opened in January 2002.
- April 2002 Jackson-Stops opened additional offices in Richmond, Teddington, Weybridge and Wimbledon extending their coverage in and around London.
- Bury St Edmunds office opened in October 2002.
- Winchester office opened in July 2003.
- Shaftesbury office opened in May 2004.
- Newbury office opened in March 2005.
- Sherborne office opened in March 2005.
- Dorking office opened in June 2005.
- Hale office opened in April 2006.
- Tunbridge Wells office opened in September 2009.
- Oxted office opened in March 2010.
- Arundel office opened in July 2010.
- Canterbury office opened in February 2011.
- Goring-on-Thames office opened in February 2013.
- Bridport office opened in June 2013.
- Barnstaple office opened in April 2014.
- Burnham Market office opened in April 2014.
- Blandford office opened in July 2016.