Guide price £795,000
A beauitful timber-framed, Jacobean cottage, Listed Grade II, in an exquisite location in the South Downs National Park, next to the pretty parish church of St Peter's with views over open farmland to Racton Monument. Once the rectory for the village and known as "The Priest's House", King Charles Cottage has an interesting history. The exact date of its construction is unclear but it is believed to be mid-16th Century. It was originally two cottages and between what is now the sitting room and the dining room there was a windowless space which is thought to have been used to hide Royalist clergy during the Civil War. It is also believed that King Charles II hid here overnight on 13th October 1651 during his flight from Cromwell's men after the Battle of Worcester. Colonel George Gunter, then the owner of Racton Manor which was situated nearby, masterminded the last leg of Charles's flight between Hambledon, across the Downs to Brighton. In the largest bedroom, over the chimney breast there is a royal coat of arms in commemoration. The story is at least partly corroborated by papers discovered many years later in 1841 when the contents of Racton Manor were sold prior to its demolition. A Havant draper bought a bureau and, when working on his newly acquired piece of furniture, discovered a secret drawer in which he found a document giving details of Colonel Gunter's part in Charles' escape. The original manuscript is now lodged in the British Museum and, whilst the cottage is not mentioned specifically, it does lend weight to the story and there is a good possibility given Colonel Gunter's involvement that the story is true. Today the cottage is a welcoming and much loved home, full of character including timber frame and exposed beams, inglenook fireplaces and the quirky touches which make the cottage so special. On the ground floor there are two reception rooms of a good size, each with handsome fireplace and a kitchen/breakfast room to the southern side of the house. The first floor is divided in two, a characteristic harking back to the fact that the cottage was originally two properties. The northern landing leads to a double bedroom with shower room alongside. The southern landing, accessed by way of stairs near the kitchen/breakfast room, is rather larger and provides access to the principal bedroom with a walk-in wardrobe next to the chimney breast which bears the royal coat of arms. A third bedroom is located alongside, together with a bathroom. Outside The cottage has a picturesque approach, located adjacent to the tiny, medieval parish church of St Peter. A parking area lies to the east of the cottage and provides access to a detached double garage. Most recently this has been used to house a sizeable sheet music collection, with studio room above. It also has a cloakroom. There may be the potential to create an annexe here, subject to the relevant consents and compliance with building regulations. The surrounding gardens are intended to be easily maintained with areas of lawn and attractive borders which make the most of the superb views over neighbouring farmland towards the Racton Monument. Racton is a pretty rural hamlet some 7 miles to the north-west of Chichester, surrounded by the rich and varied countryside of the South Downs National Park. The hamlet is best known as the site of the well-known landmark, the Racton Monument, built by the 2nd Earl of Halifax and opened in 1775 as a summer house for entertaining his guests at the nearby Stansted Estate. There are primary schools in the nearby villages of Compton, Funtington and West Ashling. There are also a number of good local pubs in the surrounding villages. Funtington also provides a farm shop and there is an organic butcher on the nearby Adsdean Estate. The surrounding countryside of the South Downs National Park provides many opportunities for walking, riding and mountain biking. Chichester Harbour and the waters of The Solent provide some of the best sailing and watersports facilities within easy reach of London. Goodwood, some 8.5 miles to the north east, is internationally known for its horse racing, golf course and annual meetings of the Festival of Speed and the Revival meeting at its historic motor circuit. Chichester lies 7 miles to the south east, with its internationally known Festival Theatre, its historic cathedral, which provides a rich variety of concerts and other events and its university which is rated highest in the country for levels of student satisfaction. Mainline stations at Chichester and Havant provide regular services to London Victoria and Waterloo respectively.
Mains water and electricity, private drainage.
Chichester District Council, East Pallant House, ChichesterTel: 01243 785166 Council Tax Band: G
View a selection of our similar properties
Guide price £795,000
Guide price £749,950