Can our Shaftesbury team help you?

Get in touch

Got a question for NAME?

Get in touch

Rookes House, Horsington, Templecombe, BA8

Guide price £1,225,000

5 Beds 3 Baths 4 Receptions

REF: SHA180158

PROPERTY FEATURES

  • Entrance Hall
  • Drawing Room
  • Sitting Room
  • Dining Room
  • Kitchen/Breakfast Room
  • Scullery/Boot Room
  • Five Bedrooms & Two further Attic Rooms
  • Three Bathrooms
  • Double Garage ,Three Looseboxes and further outbuildings
  • Walled Garden and Paddock of about 1.23acres. Further land available by seperate negotiation.

THE PROPERTY

Rookes House is situated on the edge of the village in this pretty part of Somerset, close to the Wiltshire and Dorset border on a quiet no- through road leading to the Parish Church. Horsington has a public house, village hall and school while there are mainline stations at Templecombe and Sherborne (London Waterloo) and Castle Cary (London Paddington). Nearby Charlton Horethorne has a village shop, primary school and public house. The Abbey town of Sherborne is a short drive away with its range of traditional shops, while other towns within easy reach include Wincanton, Gillingham and Shaftesbury. Standing in grounds of approximately 1.23 acres, (with more land available by seperte negotiation) Rookes House is a handsome Grade II listed stone property under a tiled roof reputedly built in 1498, remodelled in the eighteenth century and then extended in the 1920's to provide a large drawing room. In 1993 the current kitchen/breakfast room was added. The house has many characteristics typical of its era, with original period features including large sash windows, working shutters, open fireplaces and an attractive flagstone floor in the scullery. The versatile accommodation includes three reception rooms and a nicely proportioned kitchen/breakfast room which, subject to planning, could be extended at first floor level to create a master bedroom with ensuite bathroom. In addition, there is a useful cellar. Rookes House is approached off the lane through electronically operated wrought iron gates onto a large gravelled parking and turning area, adjoining which is a double garage and three loose boxes with adjacent machinery store. The majority of the walled garden lies to the rear of the property; at the front a metal gate leads via a gravel path through to the front door flanked on either side by a small lawned areas with two mature yew trees. There is a further lawned area to the side looking out to the paddocks beyond. The rear garden is largely to lawn and flanked by well stocked flower and shrub borders with roses, clematis, wisteria and a prolific pear tree. The land lies to the south east of the house and is fenced with a double field shelter and has a mains fed water laid on. In all the gardens and grounds extend to about 1.23 acres. More land is available by seperate negotiation.