Our offices are open and operating on an appointment only basis, with physical viewings and valuations taking place in line with our guidelines This is the case across both our sales and lettings department.
Please contact branch directors of individual offices directly to arrange appointments.
Guide price £1,850,000
Classically designed townhouse, elevated and prominently sited, views over St Cross, and the formal communal gardens inspired by the gardens of Versailles Peninsula Square is one of Winchester's most sought-after addresses, it stands on high ground in the heart of the city, bounded on its eastern side by Southgate Street, Romsey Road to the north and St James Lane to the south. No 20 stands prominently in the centre of the square and has beautiful views over St Cross and the Itchen Valley. On its northern side are the classically designed communal grounds, romantically based on the gardens of the Palace of Versailles with a series of parterres and the central water feature. The city centre with its many excellent amenities is within walking distance as are some lovely walks through the old part of the city around the Cathedral, the College and along the banks of the River Itchen through the water meadows. Other recreational facilities locally include golf on Winchester's three courses, squash and tennis club in Bereweeke Road, sports centre, cinema, Theatre Royal, fishing on the local chalk streams and sailing on the Solent. Winchester also has a mainline station with a fast service to London Waterloo (about 55 minutes) and the city is close to the major road networks provided by the A34 trunk road, M3 and M27 motorways. The property forms part of the sympathetic development of the former Winchester Barracks by the award-winning architect, Huw Thomas. This building replaced and copied the original Officers' Mess built circa 1870 and destroyed in 1960. It stands on what was the south east corner of the Great Tower of Winchester Castle. Henry III built a round tower here in 1258. In the 17th century the Great Tower was converted into a mansion house only to be demolished in 1651 following the Civil War. The house has a classically inspired faade including half of the adjoining archway with elevations of brick and has beautifully proportioned rooms with good ceiling heights and many architectural features including ornate cornicing, ceiling roses and dado rails. The limestone floored dining room has a fireplace with carved marble surround, gas fired wood burning stove, coats and shoe cupboard and B & O speakers. The main staircase rises to the first and second floors from the inner staircase hall. There is a cloakroom, utility room, and a superb kitchen/breakfast/family room with bespoke hand painted units, polished granite worktops, various integrated appliances including a three oven Aga and adjoining Companion. On the first floor is a magnificent drawing room, double width with three windows overlooking the formal gardens and water features, a contemporary stone pebble gas fire in marble surround, bespoke fitted cupboards and shelved display recesses, B & O speakers and a full width of library book cases with grills and cupboards. There are wall lights and picture light points. On this floor the fourth bedroom has been used as a sitting room with south facing views to the church and there is a bathroom. Situated on the second floor is the principal suite which has a sumptuous adjoining shower room. There are two further bedrooms and a second shower room. OUTSIDE The south facing garden is terraced beautifully designed and landscaped for ease of maintenance. Between the two terraces is stone balustrading and mature shrubs. The garden is partly walled, hedged with yew and trellis work, and a private gate gives access out to St James Lane and paths lead through into the Lower Barracks and out into the City centre. There are two designated car parking space and visitors' parking spaces. THE COMMUNAL GROUNDS Situated in the centre of the Square the formal communal grounds form the focal point to Peninsula Square. The architect based his design on the French Renaissance gardens of the Palace of Versailles with classical hard landscaping and symmetrical raised beds, trees and water features leading away from a large ornamental pond and fountain. The gardens are interspersed by illuminated paths and gravel ways. Amongst the buildings are other mature trees and a number of open spaces.
View a selection of our similar properties
Guide price £1,750,000
Guide price £1,500,000