Guide price £2,650,000
A most attractive former rectory, 18th century, glorious south facing gardens, views over the Candover Valley and to the church The hamlet of Swarraton and adjoining Northington lie in glorious countryside at the southern end of the Candover valley about four and a half miles from the small Georgian town of Alresford. The house lies in a wonderful setting at the southern end of the hamlet on rising ground and has long views over the adjoining valley and countryside, through which flows the Candover stream, a tributary of the Rivers Alre and Itchen, and from the garden are views to St Johns Church. Surrounding Swarraton is some of Hampshire's most beautiful undulating downland countryside perfect for walking and riding, and in the neighbouring hamlet of Totford there is a public house. The Grange Festival is held annually in Grange Park. Although in peaceful countryside, Swarraton is not remote. There is a country bus service between Alresford and Basingstoke. Alresford, with its attractive centre, has an excellent variety of shops and there are fast road links to Winchester and Basingstoke, both of which have mainline railway stations on the London/Waterloo line and access to the M3 motorway. In the area there are an excellent range of both private and state schools including Winchester College and St Swithuns, Pilgrims, and Peter Symonds Sixth Form College. Sporting in the area includes: Golf courses - Alresford, Winchester, Dummer and Basingstoke. Chalk stream fishing - Rivers Alre and Itchen. Racing - Newbury, Salisbury and Ascot. Sailing and associated water sports - Hamble, the Solent and Southampton Water. The property is a particularly fine period house, surprisingly not listed and has a fascinating history, it was a rectory from 1820 to 1970, pre-1820 it might have been a farmhouse, and where the thatched barn was situated, could have been the site of a coaching inn. The house has extremely attractive colour washed brick elevations with inset sash and casement windows under a hipped tiled roof with eyebrow dormers. Originally thatched the house was tiled in 1954. Along the south side there is a veranda. The accommodation is beautifully proportioned, full of character. From the entrance porch, a six panelled front door opens into the entrance hall which has moulded cornicing and stairs rising to the first floor. There is a cloakroom, sitting room with fireplace, and library bookcases with cupboards under. Double doors open into a charming drawing room, fireplace, pine Adam style surround, marble slips and hearth, library bookcases, moulded cornicing and two pairs of French doors to the veranda. The dining room has a shelved glass and china cupboard and a serving hatch into the rear hall. A Green Baize door opens into the rear hall where there is a cloakroom, pantry, wine cellar, and a large kitchen/breakfast room, fitted with limed oak units and polished granite worktops. There is an Aga and other integrated appliances. Off the kitchen is a utility/laundry room, matching units, Belfast sink, teak worktop and drainer. Beyond is a vestibule with an exterior door and this gives access into a potential annexe, currently used as a study, cloakroom, library, and first floor bedroom 6, with adjoining bathroom 4. In the main house the staircase rises up to a landing, off which are five bedrooms, a dressing room and three bathrooms. OUTSIDE The property is approached from the valley road by way of a tarmac driveway which leads up to the house and through a five bar gate into a courtyard area where the outbuildings and barn are situated. The thatched brick and flint barn is divided into a workshop/garden implement store with access to loft storage above, boiler room/tractor store and a wood store. There is a timber clad barn providing garaging for four cars, lean to field shelter to the rear. Large green house with vine, raised herb/vegetable beds and coldframes. THE GARDENS The gardens are extremely special, a true plantsman's garden providing colour throughout the seasons and in the past were included in the Yellow Book for several years. In front of the barn there is a very special walled flower garden divided by paved paths. The main gardens are south facing, there are sweeping lawns leading down to a large pond, and orchard area with roses. Sheltered in the south eastern corner is a sunken garden with terracing and gravel paths. The semi circular beds are fully planted with a mass of choice plants. There is an ornamental pond and climbing up this part of the house, a fine old wisteria. The gardens extend to about 1.75 acres. To the north and east lies the ''Candover Glebe', ten acres of fields and three acres of woodland, rented from the Winchester Diocese, on an agricultural tenancy for the sum of £1600 per annum.
View a selection of our similar properties