Guide price £2,250,000
AN HISTORIC LISTED MANOR IN A RURAL SETTING ON THE NORTH CORNISH COAST The property is understood to be mentioned in the Domesday Book, when William the Conquerer's half-brother, the Earl of Mortain, held it as part of the properties associated with the Manor of Bottreaux (Boscastle). In the house is a copy of a deed recording the sale by Richard Grenville to George Rolle of half of the Manor of Crackington, dated 1566. In 1874 it is described as having seven bedrooms and easily the largest house on the manor estate. The current owner has been at Manor Farm since 1977, since when it has been a very happy family home. Deeds going back to the 1300's are held at the Royal Cornwall Museum. The house has evolved over the centuries and retains many of its period features from different eras, such as both stone mullioned and sliding sash windows, exposed timbers, slate flagged floors, built in window seats and decorative cornicing. From the paved terrace, the main front door opens to an entrance hall which serves the formal dining room with stone fireplace and the large L shaped drawing room with fireplace and arched door through to the East Wing. The East Wing also has its own independent entrance and comprises a small reception room along with a TV room, the music room, small servery and two bedrooms above, one being en-suite with stone mullioned leaded light window and the other being an attic bedroom. A rear hall leads out to the courtyard and internal doors again lead into both the dining room and drawing room, as well as the kitchen breakfast room and to the sitting room, with further door to the rear lobby and wet room. The Kitchen/ breakfast room is fitted with a matching range of base and wall cupboards with work surface over, slate flagged floor, sink and drainer, dishwasher, fridge, 4 oven oil fired Aga, exposed ceiling timbers and doors to the pantry with fitted cupboards, worktops, shelving, sink and oven, and also to the utility room with fitted cupboards, worktop, butler's sink and plumbing for washing machine. The main stairs ascend from the entrance hall to a large landing, from here there are 3 bedrooms overlooking the terrace and garden, all with fitted cupboards and one with en-suite, there are also 2 further en-suite bedrooms overlooking the garden as well as the main family bathroom, a linen room and a secondary staircase returning to then rear hall. In summary this is a fine, spacious, historic house, of considerable character and charm. GARDENS, GROUNDS AND OUTBUILDINGS Entrance gates between stone pillars open to a gravel drive sweeping down through the gardens to a broad parking and turning area beside the house. The delightful formal gardens are a particular feature of the property, with gently sloping lawns fringed and interspersed with a plethora of colourful flowering shrubs and plants and ornamental trees, including rhododendron and azalea. An added point of interest is the old mill wheel, still in situ behind the barns. Beyond the gardens are extensive areas of natural woodland sloping steeply down to the stream at the bottom of the valley and being a haven for wildlife. Also adjoining the gardens are two gently sloping paddocks one with timber field shelter. To the rear of the house is a large concrete courtyard around two sides of which are a range of traditional stone under slate barns, including games rooms, stable, former cowshed and stores. To the opposite side of the house is a further outbuilding comprising triple garage and workshop, with the oil storage tanks. On the other side of the courtyard is a substantial 5 bay general purpose agricultural building measuring approximately 22.73m x 19.17m max.
View a selection of our similar properties