Guide price £1,750,000
Beechtree Lodge is believed to date from circa 1775 and is one of three buildings on the site, all listed as Grade II. The annex/outbuilding close to the main house is believed to be contemporary to it and is part stone built and part timber-framed. This has been extended and is currently used as a self-contained flat/annex, garages and office. The dog kennels date from 1867 and are now used as a garden store. Beechtree Lodge is thought to have originally been a hunting lodge, though in the 19th century it was the residence of the Gamekeeper at Alderley Park, the estate of the Stanleys of Alderley. The significance of Beechtree Lodge and its Kennels derives from the intrinsic special architectural and historic interest which has warranted its Grade II designation as a building of importance in the national context. This special interest stems from its qualities and character as a lodge historically associated with and part of the former Stanleys estate. The austere Tudor Gothic style of the main house and the sporting dog kennels indicates that they were structures of some prestige. The main house and outbuilding/annex are two-storied and built of pink sandstone with stone mullioned windows with iron casements and Welsh slate roof. The interior shows original pine beams and stone fireplaces. There are three bedrooms and two bathrooms in the main house and two bedrooms and two bathrooms in the annex/outbuilding close to the house. The annex also has two garages and an entrance hall, which leads to a sitting room/study, study, utility room and first floor bedroom. Beechtree Lodge stands amid rural surroundings on the bridleway named Hocker Lane, surrounded by woodland belts and open countryside, which have changed little in the best part of two centuries. The main house faces southwest from behind a small front garden with an adjoining driveway entrance and high gates to the left. A wooded area and extensive formal and informal gardens with mature plants and paddocks stretch to the side and rear. There is also a large pond surrounded by formal stone-paved terraces in the proximity of the main house. Planning Permission Planning Appeals ref APP/R0660/W/18/3214339 (Planning Consent) and APP/R0660/Y/18/3214347 (Listed Building Consent) granted Planning and Listed Building Consent for the following proposals: The Main House Planning permission and listing building consent exist for a two-storey rear extension, which will give a new kitchen/breakfast room on the ground floor and large third bedroom to the first floor. There will also be a lower ground floor utility room. The Annex/Outbuilding Planning permission and listing building consent exist, for a conservatory and change of use for the garages to living accommodation and an additional bathroom. The Kennel House Planning permission and listed building consent exist, allowing for the conversion of the kennel house to a garden store with shower room and a greenhouse over the major part of the old kennel yard. The Gardens Planning permission and listing building consent exist for a new garden wall/boundary fence abutting Hocker Lane. Planning permission and listed building consent exist for the provision of a new entrance long sweeping drive through the wooded area which will alter the setting of the house considerably (see plan). Planning has recently been granted for the erection of linking wall between the house and the annex which will provide the rear garden with a high degree of privacy. Gardens & Grounds An impressive set of solid wooden gates open into a gravel parking and turning area to the side of the house and to the front of the annex/outbuilding. The drive then leads past the annex to a large parking area for numerous cars. The formal gardens lie to the side of the house and to the front of the annex and consist of manicured level lawns with central path and rose-adorned metal arbours. There is another small area of formal lawns to the front of the house, abutting the lane, with the majority of the lawns lying to the rear. A large stone terrace running the entire length of the rear elevation provides a wonderful alfresco dining area, with stone steps leading down to a large pond surrounded by formal flagstone terraces. The lawns enclose the Grade II Listed formerly kennel house and yard, now a garden and a shed: dated 1867 for the 2nd Lord Stanley and built in English garden wall bond red brick with pink sandstone dressings, tile roof, brick chimney, weathervane and a date stone with a diamond-shaped tile with the Stanley coat of arms. The formal square kennel yard is surrounded by a brick wall with triangular stone coping. An impressive high arched head stone leads to a stone-flagged enclosure with a central flower bed. The paddock land lies to the side of the rear lawns, one of the two paddocks having a large horse shelter. The remainder of the land is made up of mature woodland with pretty woodland walks. This house would be ideal for the gardener or equestrian buyer with the mature gardens, paddock land, outbuildings and with Hocker Lane being a bridle path.
View a selection of our similar properties
Guide price £1,950,000
Guide price £1,850,000