A beautifully restored period townhouse dating from about 1600 and listed Grade II. To the rear of the property is an attractive, well stocked walled garden. The house lies in a quiet backwater within the Marlborough Conservation Area just off the high street.
A visitor could be forgiven for thinking that Marlborough was an elegant Georgian town made famous by its boys' public school, Marlborough College, but they would be wrong. The school has now opened its doors to girls as well and the earliest human habitation of Marlborough goes back to pre-historic times. After the Norman Conquest it became an important strategic site with a wooden castle standing on part of the site now occupied by the College. This became a more substantial stone castle by the 12th century and was for almost two hundred years used as a royal residence. Kings were married in Marlborough; a Treasury was established in the town; Parliament met there and ''The Statute of Marlborough' was passed there in 1267 and is one of the oldest law statutes in English law. It was granted a royal charter and became an important market town, trading with both Bristol and Southampton, industry thrived and it was the point where two important roads crossed the one running north / south between Swindon and Salisbury and the other running between London and Bath. Far from being gentile, the High Street would have been busy and noisy while the quieter, more prosperous, areas would have been the roads adjacent to the High Street such as Silverless Street where the merchants would have chosen to live. The castle fell into disrepair during the 14th century and eventually Edward VI gave it to the Seymour family. However, as Marlborough supported Parliament during the Civil War the remains of the castle and part of the town was burned in 1642, following a fierce battle between Crown and Parliament. Those buildings that survived were threatened again in 1653, the year of the Great Fire of Marlborough, and by subsequent fires in 1679 and 1690. These lead to an act of Parliament which precluded the covering of houses in the town with thatch and accounted for the layout of the very broad High Street which it was hoped would stop the spread of fire. Amongst the few houses that survived both attach and fires were 7 Silverless Street and a handful of the neighbouring properties on the north side of Silverless Street. 7 Silverless Street probably dates back to circa 1600 and is believed to stand on land originally owned by the Marquess of Ailesbury. The house is three storeys over a cellar with brick ground floor, part rendered, and an oversailing plastered upper part with an old tiled roof and casement windows. The central oak panelled front door set into a heavily moulded oak frame with period bell pull makes an important statement and the double fronted house was clearly intended to impress. Together with several other houses on the north side of Silverless Street they are as a group Listed Grade II and make an important contribution to the Marlborough Conservation Area. To the rear of the house is an attractive walled garden which like the house has been brought back to life by the present owner. The house has been beautifully restored over the past few years with great emphasis being placed on conservation and meticulous attention to detail. It is perhaps not surprising that the work has been undertaken by a former porcelain restorer where attention to the smallest detail has always been paramount and great care has been taken to protect the architectural integrity of the house whilst making it fit for life in the 21st century.
View a selection of our similar properties