Description The Homestall is the south west wing of Dutton Homestall and includes the original part of the house, originally a simple farmhouse, which is believed in part to date back to the late 1300's when it was used by John of Gaunt as his hunting lodge for Ashdown Forest. His coat of arms can still be seen on the wall panelling in the Drawing Room. Over the centuries it was extended to become a larger farmhouse and at one time was converted into two dwellings, before the Dewar family acquired it early in the 20th Century and completely re-modelled it. Outside the sunken formal gardens are an attractive and particular feature attributed to James Pulham & Sons. While part of Stoke Brunswick School The Homestall was used as the headmaster's house. The Sale of The Homestall and Dutton Hall is the exciting first phase of the revival of Dutton Homestall into 21st Century country living. Once completed there will be the two houses with their own private gardens and grounds together with grand country house apartments and some new build town houses. All will benefit from access and use of about 25 Acres of communal grounds including a 6 hole golf course, 2 tennis courts and a swimming pool. HISTORICAL NOTE There has been a dwelling on site since the 14th century when John of Gaunt son of Edward III is understood to have used it as his hunting lodge. By 1830, there was a simple farmhouse on the site with no garden. By 1903 the house was derelict. In 1907 Lord Dewar bought and restored The Homestall, added a substantial service wing, re-modelled the gardens and bought in two farms to the north to create a grand estate. After his death in 1930 it was inherited by his nephew who used it as his country base while living at Claridges during the week. He married in 1932 and soon after his wife declared the house was not big enough for the lavish entertaining that she had in mind. He bought Dutton Hall, a large Tudor manor house in Cheshire dating from the 1580's, had it dismantled and then rebuilt alongside The Homestall. The grander and much larger house became known as Dutton Homestall. During the Second World War Dewar offered the house as an auxilliary hospital to the nearby Royal Victoria Hospital and it became a convalescent home for officers in the Guinea Pig Club. During the 1950's the house was bought by the owner of The Brunswick School and then in 1965 Stoke House School joined and amalgamated to become The Stoke Brunswick School. This closed in 2009 and since has once again become a private house. Accommodation Entrance door with stone canopy over opens to Entrance Hall with Cloakroom. Panelled Study with wood burning stove to stone fireplace Drawing Room (once described as the oldest sitting room in Sussex) with brick inglenook fireplace. Panelling to one wall including coat of arms. Rear Hall with door to drive and steps down to Sitting Room. Further steps lead to Dining Room with inglenook fireplace. Kitchen with granite work surfaces. Miele appliances. Boiler Room with Worcester gas boiler and hot water tank. Off the Dining Room a stone archway leads to Garden Room with glazed double doors to Garden. An easy rising oak staircase leads to Landing Master Bedroom with en suite Bathroom. 4 Further First Floor Bedrooms. 2 Bathrooms. From the Landing a further flight of stairs leads to Second Floor comprising 3 Attic Rooms. Bathroom and accesses to roof space. OUTSIDE The Homestall is approached over a long sweeping driveway to the parking area at the front of the house. The formal Gardens lie to the rear of the house and comprise terraced lawned areas with York stone steps down to sunken garden with central pond feature with York stone surround. Octagonal sandstone summerhouse. In all believed to extend to just under an acre. (TBV) Advert The spacious South West wing of this historic Grade II* Country House in a wonderful rural setting. Entrance Hall. Study. Panelled Drawing Room. Sitting Room. Dining Room. Kitchen. Garden Room. Master Bedroom Suite. 4 Further First Floor Bedrooms. 2 Bathrooms. 3 Attic Rooms & Bathroom. Formal Gardens including sunken Garden attributed to James Pulham & Sons In all just under an Acre (TBV) Services All Mains Services. Situation Dutton Homestall is a substantial Grade II* country house situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty right on the edge of the village of Ashurstwood on the borders of East and West Sussex. The house, formerly one of East Sussex's finest country houses, occupies a beautiful tucked away position well away from roads at the end of a long private drive and is set in wonderful gardens and grounds. Ashurstwood provides a range of local shopping facilities. A wider range of shopping, facilities can be found at Forest Row, East Grinstead, Tunbridge Wells and Haywards Heath. The mainline railway station at East Grinstead provides services to Victoria/London Bridge. The M23 provides access to Gatwick, Brighton and the M25 and thence motorway network, Heathrow and Stansted, Channel Tunnel Terminus and Ports. Schools in the local area include Brambletye, the renowned Michael Hall Steiner School and Cumnor House. The Ashdown Forest is nearby, as are The Holtye and The Royal Ashdown Golf Courses. Directions From Tunbridge Wells proceed out on the A264 through Langton Green. After the village turn right and continue on the A264 for just over 7.5 miles passing Holtye Golf Course and Hammerwood Park. Turn left into Shovelstrode Lane, which after about half a mile and a sharp left-hand bend becomes Homestall Road. Continue for about 0.6 mile and the entrance gates to Dutton Homestall (Homestall Manor) will be found on the right, just before the West Sussex sign.
View a selection of our similar properties
Guide price £2,000,000
Guide price £2,000,000