Offers in excess of £1,250,000
Church House is a 4,000 sq ft Listed building (Grade II) of historical interest, one of Weybridge's oldest properties and offers a rare opportunity to acquire a Freehold house and shop, occupying an enviable position in the centre of the conservation area of Weybridge with an attractive outlook to St James' Church.
As one of the oldest shops in Weybridge, this store has witnessed much change. There is first mention of curios being sold at this site in the late 1660's, during the reign of King Charles II. Nearly 200 years later, Thomas Cooper opened the first grocery in Weybridge here in 1856. His wife and daughters were milliners, and sold their hats from a smaller shop adjoining the main building. In 1886, the Gem brothers took over the building, turning it into an antiques store. They stayed here until the 1950's. In 1965, Leslie Richardson and his family took over the site. The shop became 'Church House Antiques', to much popular local press coverage. Since opening, the family business has seen remarkable highs. Many famous clients have visited, including members of the Beatles and prominent celebrities. The current owners have continued to run the shop and live behind it, having now been here for over fifty years. The shop currently has A1 use but planning permission has existed for A2 use (and the associated building works) for the three showrooms and main reception room to be leased separately from the remaining house should this be required. Coach House: Georgian drawing room with high ceiling and decorative gothic cornicing. Two glazed doors to garden, solid maplewood floor, open fireplace with Jtul log burner in decorative fire surround. Twin skylights. Jacobean area with low beamed ceiling, cast iron fireplace and original small side oven. Doorway to conservatory/breakfast room, doors to Garden, Dining room and Kitchen. Kitchen: Fitted with bespoke wooden cupboards, integral dish washer, black Falcon gas range, black granite work tops. Separate pantry, china and boiler cupboards. Large stainless steel sink with mixer tap, space for washing machine and fridge freezer. Ceramic tiled floor and Tudor beamed ceiling. Dining Room: Of Tudor origin with limestone flagged floor, panelled walls with decorative cornice in homage to the Great Chamber at Knole. Double branching staircase to rear Bedroom 2, also of Tudor origin, with window to the garden, open fireplace with oak bressumer beam and deep walk-in wardrobe cupboard. Small hallway, door to Bathroom 2 with white suit of bath with hand held shower, basin with large cupboard and drawers below, bidet and W.C. chrome fittings. Large walk in airing cupboard. Window to garden. From the hallway: steep stairs to attic Bedroom 5 with window and Velux (currently used as an office): Branching staircase to front: small landing with deep cupboard: Bedroom 3: Large L shaped Georgian room with two sash windows to the front, open fireplace with pine surround and iron grate basket and Carrera marble slips. Original panelling to dado height (currently used as a winter parlour): Steps up to another front facing Victorian room: Bedroom 4 - Sash window, shelved alcoves and full range of fitted wardrobes (currently used as a dressing/study room). Steps down to the, Elizabethan bedroom: Master Bedroom 1: High oak beamed vaulted ceiling, deep wardrobe cupboard, cast iron open fireplace. Window to driveway. Steps down to small hallway, fitted cupboard and door to: Bathroom 1: White suite comprising walk-in power shower, bath, bidet, wash hand basin with large cupboard under, WC and deep shelved cupboard. Chrome fittings, window to garden. From the small hallway, stairs down to the Coach House, through door in panelled wall with large under-stairs cupboard. Outside: Good sized Courtyard Garden with York stone paving. Large fig tree and various other climbers: jasmine, clematis and Passionflower. Spectacular magnolia grandiflora: Doorway to large Double Garage with electric steel door and personal door to side driveway. Studio: Door to fully insulated and panelled Studio/office/playroom with skylight. The Shop: Three period Showrooms visible from wide display windows either side of shop door. Entry via Victorian showroom with single large display window and deep dais with panelled surround. Stripped and varnished floorboards and decorative cornice. Opening to beamed Georgian showroom with long display window. Door to side leading to panelled store room with electric skylight and vault room with WC. Archway to rear Tudor showroom featuring large open inglenook fireplace with oak bressummer over.
View a selection of our similar properties
Guide price £1,295,000