Guide price £1,995,000
Historical Note This handsome town house is predominantly Georgian in character and, whilst parts of the original timber frame still exist, most rooms are spacious, light and of Georgian proportions. Records show a property on this site prior to 1248 belonging to Ralph de Montfort who granted it to the Abbot and Convent of Jumiege, a Benedictine Abbey south west of Rouen for his "salvation and for certain debts which he was bound to them of old". The Abbey sold it in later years to the Archdeacon of Chichester who granted it to the Dean and Chapter at a rent of 20 shillings "to pray for him on his anniversary". The property then remained in the ownership of the Dean and Chapter for centuries. The next surviving reference to the house is in 1402 which shows William, son of Agnes, the sister of Adam Dyer, as tenant for life. Later the Parliamentary Survey of 1649 describes the house as a "hall, parlour, little kitchen, washhouse, cellar, 3 chambers, 2 small lodging garrets, a little yard with use of a pump and a small garden plot". At this time the tenant was Thomas Wheeler, a merchant and City alderman. The hearth tax in 1670 records the property had 6 hearths with 9 rooms divided between two occupiers. The house remained in the ownership of the Dean and Chapter until the late 19th century and was tenanted by a number of people, the last documented tenant being a Reverend John Bridger in 1839. It is believed that the house was sold by the Diocese and returned to private ownership in about 1875. The Property The house as it can be seen today looks predominantly Georgian and the small facade viewable from St. Martin's Square belies the depth of the accommodation behind. This is a most comfortable town house with 3 good reception rooms on the ground floor and a farmhouse style kitchen/breakfast room with stable door onto a very pleasant west facing walled garden. The bedroom accommodation is generous, 6 bedrooms in all arranged over 2 floors with 2 bathrooms and a shower room. The rooms are well proportioned, in many cases with high ceilings, large sash windows with working shutters, decorative plasterwork and cornices. The property is also extremely private. A discreet vehicle access leads from Lion Street to a parking area suitable for at least 2-3 cars. Beyond this a walled kitchen garden some 60' long is planted with espalier fruit trees, and beds for soft fruits, flowers, vegetables and herbs. A gate leads from the parking area to an attractive west facing walled garden lying immediately adjacent to the house. The old brick walls are covered with climbing roses and the garden itself has been stone flagged for ease of maintenance. Location St Martin's Square is mainly medieval, lying between Priory Park and the old site of St. Martin's Church, described by Ian Nairn in The Buildings of England as "a tiny delightful space .... as wayward and deceptively casual as one of the little scenographic squares in Rome". The ancient almhouses lie nearby and the surrounding buildings are otherwise predominantly Georgian in character. Despite its discreet setting the property is within yards of the comprehensive shopping facilities situated in the pedestrianised centre, together with a good choice of restaurants and bars. Nearby, the 12th century Cathedral dominates the skyline with adjacent Canon Lane leading to the medieval Bishops Palace and its park-like walled gardens which are open to the public. Other recreational facilities include the internationally known Festival Theatre, Pallant House Gallery, the Westgate sports centre and New Park Centre Cinema. A mainline station provides a regular service to London Victoria in about 1 hour 45 minutes.
View a selection of our similar properties
Guide price £1,750,000